On Sunday, Michael, Michael, Iain, Ali, Chris, Gonzalo along with Alan and myself met at a scorching Traprain Law to cover the basics of trad climbing.
We looked at the
- Crag environment – environmental considerations and looking after yourself.
- Guide books and grades – indoor (French) vs British Traditional.
- Movement skills on rock compared with indoor climbing.
- Belaying skills for outdoor climbing.
- Tying into anchors.
- Placing rock protection.
- Building anchors.
- Placing gear on a route.
- Retreating off a route.
- Sport climbing lower-offs.